Become an Area Rep
If you are...
- Looking to make (an extra) $3,000 - $10,000+ per month;
- Self-motivated and willing to work outside & talk to people; and
- "Handy" and skilled at putting things together...
Then you would make a great Area Rep for Sunset Pergola Kits!
How to Apply
- You apply to be an Area Rep by completing the application below.
- We'll review your application and check to see whether we already have an Area Rep in your geographic location.
- If approved, you will then need to complete our 1.5 to 2-hour Area Rep online training and e-sign the Area Rep agreement.
How You Make Money
Once you're approved as an Area Rep, you will be authorized to promote and sell Sunset Pergola Kits within a 25-mile radius of your chosen location (usually your home or business address, but it can be another location nearby). And we'll be glad to expand your selling area over time based on your performance.
As an Area Rep, you can make money by:
- Receiving a $300 - $1,000 commission for each Sunset Pergola Kit you sell; and
- Assembling (installing) the pergola kits you sell and collecting an installation fee from your customers (typically $500 - $1,500 per installation, but the amount is up to you).
Many of our Area Reps are selling and installing 5-10 pergolas per month, earning a $500 commission (on average) plus a $800 installation fee (on average) on each one. That translates to $6,500 (for 5 pergolas per month) to $13,000 (for 10) of earnings per month!
Check out the FAQs below to learn about all the ins and outs of the Area Rep Program.
What It Costs to Become An Area Rep
We don't charge you any fee whatsoever to become an Area Rep, nor do we require you to purchase any kind of "starter kit," marketing materials, samples or anything else. We do not make money by signing up Area Reps... that's simply not how we do business.
In fact, we actually incur about $50 in costs to send each new Area Rep the items listed below. (But we're more than happy to eat these costs because we're extremely confident that you will generate sales, which will make both you and us money.)
After you sign the Area Rep Agreement, we'll send you the following (all at no cost to you):
- A welcome packet containing quote sheets and samples of printed promotional materials;
- Two samples (white and tan) of our vinyl & aluminum pergola materials; and
- Various promotional materials (in digital format) you can use to promote our pergolas.
Note: If you choose to do so, you can buy various marketing materials (i.e. business cards, flyers, door hangers, car magnets, signs, etc.) at cost from our Area Rep Store. But you are not required to purchase anything from us! We only offer these items at cost (i.e. no "mark-ups") to make things as easy as possible for our Area Reps. If you'd prefer, you can print your own marketing materials (using our templates) or just use the digital marketing materials we'll provide you.
Plus, once you complete your first pergola sale, we will reimburse you for everything you've already spent at the Area Rep Store (up to a maximum of $150). For example, after becoming an Area Rep, if you purchase $150 of promotional items from the Area Rep Store and your first sale generates a $800 commission, your first payment from us will be for $950 (the $800 commission plus a $150 reimbursement for what you spent at the Area Rep Store).
As an Area Rep, you will not be an employee or independent contractor of Sunset Pergola Kits. You will be operating your own business, and we will just be paying you referral commissions for sales you generate. If you hire employees or helpers, you will need to pay them for their services. Also, we strongly recommend that you purchase an insurance policy, especially if you engage in installing (assembling) pergolas for your customers.
Read through the FAQs below to learn more about how the Area Rep Program works.
What You'll Actually Be Doing Day to Day
As an Area Rep, you'll spend most of your time on these 3 activities:
Promotion - You can promote Sunset Pergolas any way you want (as long as you abide by the Area Rep Agreement), but most Area Reps do one or more of the following:
- Offer pergolas to your existing and past customers
- Leave door hangers on doors in upscale neighborhoods
- Pass out business cards or small flyers at events or activities
- Leave business cards at businesses and offices
- Leave small flyers on windshields in parking lots
- Drive around with a car magnet on their vehicle(s)
- Post ads on their local Facebook Marketplace
- Post about Sunset Pergolas on their social media accounts
- Ask satisfied customers for referrals
Providing More Information - The goal of the above promotional activities is to make people aware of our pergolas (and of your installation service) and get them interested. The next step is to provide more information, answer their questions, and guide them on placing their order. While there is of course a sales component to the work you'll be doing, you don't really need to be a "salesperson" or enjoy or be good at sales. Most of your time will be spent on promotional activities (#1 above) and assembling pergolas (#3 below). When someone is ready to order, you'll give them a unique coupon code they will use when they buy their Sunset Pergola Kit on our website. This coupon code will a) give them a $150 discount on their order, and b) give you credit for generating the sale, which will trigger your $300 - $1,000 commission (depending on the order amount).
- Assembling Pergola Kits - Some of your customers may decide to assemble their pergola themselves, but most will want you to assemble it for them. You can charge your customers however much you'd like to install their pergola; that's between you and your customer (though it may be helpful to note that most of our Area Reps seem to be charging somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 - $1,500 for assembly, depending on the size of the pergola). Assembling a pergola is a 2-person job, so you'll either need to hire a helper or possibly work alongside your customer to assemble the pergola. Your first couple of installs may take as long as 1.5 to 2 days, but you should pretty quickly get to the point where you can bang out an installation in just 1 day. Watch these step-by-step assembly videos to get an idea of how easy it is to assemble our pergolas.
Ready to get started? Just complete the simple form below, and we'll get back to you within 1 business day. (Note: You can read FAQs about this program below the application form.) We look forward to working with you!
How do I apply to become an Area Rep?
How do I make money?
How much money will I make per sale?
How do you track my sales?
How often will I be paid?
Am I required to install pergolas or can I just sell them?
Am I expected to generate sales myself or do you send me leads?
What all materials will you send me?
How am I expected to market the pergolas?
How do I quote pergolas?
How do I place orders?
Will I be the exclusive rep in my area?
How big is my selling area? Can I get a bigger area?
Can I sell outside my area?
Will I be an employee of your company?
How many hours per week will I need to work?
Is there a monthly/quarterly/annual quota I need to reach?
Will the pergola kits be shipped to me or to the customers?
How much is shipping, and how long do orders take to arrive?
What if there are missing or damaged parts?
To apply to become an Area Rep, simply submit the application here.
Once your application is accepted (which we'll notify you of via email and text), you'll just need to do the following 3 things (all of which should take no more than 1.5 - 2 hours)...
- Watch all of the training videos (total play time is about 1 hour, broken into 10 parts)
- Score at least 80% on the Area Rep Quiz (note: you can retake the quiz as many times as necessary)
- eSign the "Area Rep Affiliate Agreement" (you'll receive an email from DocuSign containing a link to view and e-sign the agreement after passing the quiz)
As an Area Rep, you'll make money in 2 ways:
- You'll earn a $300 - $1,000 commission on each sale you're responsible for generating. The commission amount is based on the order total (shown in the FAQ below), with the average commission being $500-600.
- You'll collect an installation fee directly from customers whose pergolas you install. How much you charge your customers for installation is completely up to you, but it may be helpful to note that most of our Area Reps charge $500 - $1,500 per install (depending on their location, the size of the pergola, and installation details).
The following table shows our current commission structure for each pergola sale...
|Your Customer's Order Amount||Your Commission|
|$2,500 - $4,000||$300|
|$4,001 - $6,000||$400|
|$6,001 - $8,000||$500|
|$8,001 - $10,000||$600|
|$10,001 - $15,000||$700|
|$15,001 - $20,000||$800|
|$20,001 - $25,000||$900|
|$25,001 and up||$1,000|
Additionally, if you install the pergola for a customer, you'll collect whatever installation fee you and the customer agree upon (that's completely up to you).
Once you're signed up as an Area Rep, we'll give you a unique promo code (coupon code) that you and your customers will use when you place orders. This unique promo code serves 2 purposes:
- It gives your customer a $150 discount (which incentivizes them to use the coupon code, even if they place the order on their own); and
- It triggers your $300 - $1,000 commission in our system, so we know that we need to pay you.
Commissions are credited to your account once your customer has received their pergola kit. Commissions will be paid out within 10 days of the end of each calendar month. For example, commissions for the month of June will be paid out no later than July 10th.
No, you are not required to install pergolas. Most of our Area Reps choose to do so, but it's entirely up to you.
Our relationship is that of an online retailer (us) and an affiliate (you). We're simply paying you an affiliate commission for sending customers to our website to purchase our pergola products. When you send us a customer who places an order on our website, we pay you a commission to reward you for sending that customer our way.
That's really where our relationship ends. Whether you decide to offer assembly/installation services to your customers (and how much you choose to charge them) is completely up to you. We are uninvolved in the installation process. If you do choose to offer installation services, we strongly recommend that you have all the necessary insurances and licenses to do so.
As an Area Rep, you will need to generate sales yourself through various promotional and marketing activities. Occasionally, we'll have a customer order a pergola directly from us and ask if we know of anyone in their area who installs pergolas, in which case we'll give them your contact information (assuming you do installations). But for the most part, you'll need to generate your own sales.
This tutorial discusses the top 10 ways our most successful Area Reps are generating sales.
Once you're signed up as an Area Rep, we will:
- Send you all of our marketing materials (videos, flyers, brochures, buying guides, etc.) in digital format;
- Mail you 6-12" beam samples of our vinyl and aluminum pergola materials (in both white vinyl and tan vinyl); and
- Mail you a "welcome packet" that contains quote sheets and other printed materials.
You'll typically receive the mailed materials within 4-5 business days, but you don't need to wait for these materials before getting started.
We also offer various promotional items (flyers, door hangers, business cards, polo shirts, car magnets, yard signs, etc.) in the Area Rep Store. All of these promotional items (which we source through VistaPrint.com) are sold at cost with no price mark-ups. You are not required to purchase any promotional materials from us, but most of our Area Reps choose to do so.
To help you get rolling, we'll even reimburse your first Area Rep Store purchase (up to $150) after the completion of your first sale. For example, if you purchase $150 of promotional items from the Area Rep Store and your first sale generates a $800 commission, your first payment from us will be for $950 (the $800 commission plus a $150 reimbursement).
As long as you abide by the Area Rep Affiliate Agreement we'll both sign when you become an Area Rep, you can promote and market our pergolas any way you'd like. This tutorial discusses the top 10 ways our most successful Area Reps are generating sales.
This tutorial explains how to price (quote) our pergola kits to your customers.
You (or your customer) will place the order directly on our public website. When doing so, you (or your customer) will use the unique promo code (coupon code) we'll give you when you become an Area Rep. This promo code will 1) give the customer a $150 discount on their order, and 2) trigger your affiliate commission.
Yes, you will be the only Area Rep within your assigned area. You won't be competing with other Area Reps.
We start all new Area Reps out with a 25-mile radius around their chosen location on the map (usually their home or business address, but it can be another chosen location nearby). But if you do well and make several sales in the first couple/few months, we will be more than happy (even eager) to expand your geographic area to include multiple cities/communities (or county/ies), as long as it doesn't encroach on another Area Rep's work.
We don't have any problem at all with you selling to people outside your area as long as you're not actively marketing in an area that already has an Area Rep. We just don't want scenarios where an Area Rep leaves door hangers or passes out flyers in an area that another Area Rep is actively working.
But if you know people (family, friends, past customers, etc.) or get a referral for someone outside your area, you can certainly let them use your coupon code (which gives them a $150 discount and triggers your commission) and also install it for them.
No, you will not be an employee of our company. You will be your own boss and work whatever hours you choose to work.
Our relationship will be that of an online retailer (us) and an affiliate (you). We'll simply be paying you an affiliate commission for sending customers to our website to purchase our pergola products. When you send us a customer who places an order on our website, we pay you a commission to reward you for sending that customer our way. That's really where our relationship ends.
Whether you decide to offer assembly/installation services to your customers (and how much you choose to charge them) is completely up to you. We are uninvolved in the installation process. If you do choose to offer installation services (which you are not required to do), we strongly recommend that you have all the necessary insurances and licenses to do so.
That's completely up you you. It depends on how much money you want to make each month! You won't be an employee of our company with set hours or a set schedule. When and how much you work is completely up to you. But we'll say this... Our most successful Area Reps who are making $5,000 - $10,000+ per month are putting in at least 30 hours per week and are very active in promoting pergola sales.
Not officially, no. But we do ask that you be active and engaged in generating sales. If an Area Rep goes several months without making any sales (especially during the warmer months of the year), we will reach out and discuss what's going on. While we don't like to do it, we reserve the right to either revoke your exclusivity (which would allow other Area Reps to advertise in the same geographic area) or terminate the affiliate agreement.
Whichever you (or the customer) specifies when the order is placed. Most of our Area Reps choose to have the pergola kits shipped directly to their customer's driveway. But if you'd like the kit to instead be shipped to you, just specify that as the ship-to location when placing the order.
Shipping to the continental USA is FREE (included in the prices shown on our site). On average, it takes 2-3 weeks for an order to arrive. See this page for more information about shipping and delivery.
First of all, this is extremely rare. We triple-check to make sure every kit has all of its components (with hardware, fasteners and end caps to spare) before it ships out, and we pack it very well.
That said, if any parts are damaged or missing upon arrival, we will ship out replacement parts ASAP (and expedite the shipment in order to delay installation as little as possible) at no expense to you or the customer.